Friday, September 24, 2010

Get a Clue, Knucklehead

I haven't watched the news in a long time, and the other day when I watched it I realized why I haven't been watching it. I try to look on the bright side of things as often as I can, and watching the news can send one into a deep depression or make one seethe with anger. Yesterday I was seething!

There was a legislator (I didn't hear the knucklehead's name) on the news and he was discussing the Education Report Card. Arizona received a D overall but received a B- in reform. The gentleman kept expounding about how Florida's education system is so much better than Arizona. "Florida's ELL students score higher on state standardized tests than any other students. This state needs to do what Florida is doing . . . . . . blah, blah, blah" 

But when the interviewer, Kim Covington, said, "But Florida budgets more money towards its education program and it has a much lower teacher to student ratio than Arizona. Is the Arizona legislature willing to allocate more money to education like Florida?"

Knucklehead replied, "Unfortunately, we can't do that. We just need to make sure teachers are working harder"

This is where I started shouting at the T.V., "You big knucklehead that is like saying I want the top of the line BMW, but I only have enough money for a Ford Focus; I guess my wife will just have to peddle harder!"

Arizona cut $270M from the education budget and eliminated $362M in new school facilities.

Arizona spends less per student than almost any other state in the nation.

Arizona spend about $5,000 per student and Florida, the state Knucklehead wants us to be like, spends about $9,000 per student. 

Dear knucklehead, 
If you want the top of the line education system, you must be willing to pay for it. Our ELL students were making huge strides when our teacher to student ratio in ELL classrooms was about 15 to 1. The teacher to student ratio in ELL classrooms is now about 28 to 1 with about 25% of the students being monolingual. In the mainstream classrooms the ratio is 32 to 1, and in many classrooms it is more than that.  I think you should be tied to a rickety, falling apart student desk, locked in a mildewy, nonair-conditioned classroom with 36 burping, farting fourth graders.

Love,
Someone that needs to work harder.

P. S. Stack 'em deep and teach 'em cheap does not work.

I am going back to watching reality T. V. and Law and Order reruns. 


Paco's Perspective

YIKES! Calm down, Little Lady!


The Flip Side

I am glad all I worry about is treats and lizards. Hey, are lizards on T.V.?

1 comment:

  1. Lady, you have hit the nail on the head! these AZ legislators haven't got a clue, and why won't they come and sit in on a week of class to pick up some real time data??? You make me laugh about life! Thanks SO much!

    ReplyDelete