Sunday, September 12, 2010

Because of Because of Winn Dixie

Because of Winn Dixie is a book written by Kate DiCamillo. It is about a girl, Opal, and her relationships with her preacher father and a variety of friends in a small town where she and her father recently moved. Winn Dixie is a stray dog she finds causing havoc in the produce department of the Winn Dixie grocery store (thus the name Winn Dixie). Winn Dixie leads Opal to meet new people and form a better relationship with her distant father. When Opal nears her tenth birthday she asks her father for a special gift. She wants him to tell her ten things about her estranged mother that left them some time ago. 

Because of Because of Winn Dixie I have my students write 10 Things People Need to Know About Me. It gives me an excellent insight into my students. So, Because of Because of Winn Dixie I want to write 10 Things People Need to Know About Me:

1. I love my job. I have been teaching for thirty-one years and I can't imagine doing anything else. It is a hard job and many times a thankless job, but I love every minute of it. I love the hard work. I love the stress. I love the newness of each day. I love the kids. I love my job.

2. I have a need to be needed. This is somewhat strange because I am very much a loner. I think it is because I am handicapped and I depend on others for assistance with things that no one else would need assistance with, and I have this need to help others. Since, I am handicapped I really can't help others physically. I once had a friend that always asked my advice. I really miss that friend because when i was with this person I always felt needed.

3. There are days I wish I drank. I used to drink socially but I don't like the feeling of not being in control (another issue of mine) so I stopped. But there are days when I think an ice cold beer would taste great!

4. I am not very friendly. I keep my invisible walls around me reinforced at all times. I don't have very many friends because of it. So actually when my sister, Caren, is joking with me about how I don't have any friends it really isn't a joke. I am sure some psychologist could get to my deep seeded emotions that keep me from being friendly, but then I would have to take down my walls and actually talk to someone.

5. I wish I could dance. Someday I will.

6. I miss driving. I loved to drive. It was the one thing I could do without any assistance. When I drove I felt free and independent. True independence is the one unreachable goal for many handicapped people. In 1998 I was in a horrible car accident and I haven't driven since that time. I miss driving.

7. I worry and worry and worry. I worry about having to rely on others. I worry about money. I worry about where I am going to be in the future. I worry about how long I will be able to physically continue to work. I worry about how long I will be able to physically travel to Montana. But don't worry I am just a worrier, if you knew me, you wouldn't ever think I was a worrier.

8. I really do care. I know I am standoffish. I know I am not very friendly (not very friendly is another way of saying I am a bitch). But, I really do care.

9. I am a big crybaby. My daddy always said that if you look at me cross-eyed I would cry. My movie rating system is based on how many Kleenexes I use while watching the a movie. I would cry if I saw a complete stranger crying. If teardrops were diamonds, I would be the richest woman on earth.


10. I cherish my Montana summers. I can't imagine a summer without visiting Montana. If you have never been to Montana, you must go. Montana's breathtaking beauty is indescribable! Just go, and make sure it is not in the winter.


As I was writing these ten things I began to think of more things: I am a book lover, I love my life, I never thought I would be a dog person, I can't tolerate stupid adults, I love to watch T.V., I can't carry a tune in a paper bag, I love to do random acts of kindness, I have a great family, I hate the cold! So many things so little time.


Paco's Perspective

Excuse me, but where is I love Paco, Paco is my best bud, Paco has improved my life, without Paco I would be a nobody?

The Flip Side

I like to chase lizards. I like to chase lizards. I like to chase lizards. I like to chase lizards. I like to chase lizards. I like to chase lizards. I like to chase lizards. I like to chase lizards. I like to chase lizards. I like to chase lizards.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment