Friday, January 28, 2011

Did you Hear That?

When one moves to a new home, it is sometimes difficult getting used to the new sounds. I had a friend that moved from the old neighborhood to Iowa in the middle of a cornfield. I suggested that it must be great to be able to sleep without all the "city" noises and she replied,"Are you kidding? I haven't slept in days! I miss the police helicopters flying overhead all night. It is way too quiet. Kind of like a scary movie right before the serial killer shows up." 

I have moved to a rural area. There are many more houses in our neighborhood, but it is considered rural farmland. All the lots are at least two acres and some much larger. At our other home horses were allowed, but only horses. Here in the town of Waddell, AZ one can raise anything they want except pigs. Rural land makes for rural noises. Cattle do low, as in the cattle are lowing. Lowing cows is not a horrible thing to live with because they do it at a specific time daily and it is not in the middle of the night.

Our home is very close to the White Tank Mountains and so we have some interesting wildlife that come down from the mountain in search of food. There is a pack of coyotes that that travel EVERY morning right by my bedroom window.  Like clockwork, they come yipping, yapping and howling by at 2:30 a.m.. At around 3:10 a.m. they catch their rabbit. The sound of a screaming rabbit is not pleasant at anytime, let alone at 3:10 a.m.. I know where the bunnies live and I would like to write them a little note that would say, "Dear Mr. and Mrs. Hoppity, I strongly suggest that you keep the family in the house until maybe 4:00 a. m. Enclosed please find a watch, perhaps this will help you survive a little longer."

The coyotes are annoying. The screaming rabbits are frightening. But the worst thing is the damn rooster that lives NEXT DOOR. One probably thinks that roosters only crow at dawn when the sun is rising. WRONG! The rooster next door crows from dusk to dawn and at ten to twenty minute intervals in between. One might think that the crowing of a rooster is a pleasant sound, you know, cock-a-doodle-do. WRONG! The rooster next door does not cock-a-doodle-do. It screeches as loud as possible, ERRR-A-ERR-A-ERR-A-ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! I really want to cock-a-doodle his dooooooo!

Needless to say, I haven't slept in some time. I am getting used to the coyotes. I still cringe at the screaming rabbits, but that rooster! The other day someone asked Janet if it was really quiet out here and she replied, "Oh, yea very quiet!" Apparently, she can sleep through anything. When asked if she hears any gunshots, she replied, "Not yet, I am thinking that Cathy might sneak out one night soon and shoot the neighbor's rooster!"


Paco's Perspective

What rooster?

The Flip Side

I can't think about roosters. Do you know how many lizards are in our yard?!

1 comment:

  1. Waddell is nice...I like it out there! I've been waiting to read about the new digs. Post some pics so I can visualize the murdered bunnies and psycho roosters better :) Really...I want photos!

    ReplyDelete