Sunday, September 20, 2009

I am Not the Fun One

I spent the other evening with friends from work. It was the first of monthly wine nights. There was wine and beer and food and drinking. Lots of drinking. I enjoy alcohol, but I don't enjoy what it does to me. After many years of the "after effects", I choose not to drink.

Unfortunately, choosing not to drink puts you in the category of being no fun. I don't mean to be boring and standoffish; I just am. It has taken many years of parties, nights out, and get-togethers to realize that I am not the fun one. I will not drink myself senseless and do crazy things. I will not dance on the table. I will not jump in the pool with my clothes on (or off). I will not be loud in a public place.

I WILL be the one who says:
"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye."
"Quiet down, girls, we are in a public place."
"I don't think that table is strong enough for the two of you."
"Do we always have to act out the "Watermelon Crawl" every time it is played on the jukebox?"
"It's getting late, don't you think we should be getting home?"

My sisters are F - U - N! My friends are F - U - N! When we were growing up I was amazed at how much my parents were F - U - N!

I am the sensible one.

I am the rule follower.

I am NOT the FUN one.

Paco's Perspective

I am fun! (twirl) I am fun! (twirl) I am fun! (twirl) Alyssa is fun. She has races with me. Janet is fun. She plays with me on the floor. Caren is fun. She shares her wine with me. You are right! You are not fun, but you are comfortable like a big, overstuffed chair!

1 comment:

  1. "I don't think that table is strong enough for the two of you."
    Hahahahahahaha!!!! I can only GUESS which two you might mean ;)

    After abstaining for 24 out of the last 36 months...I getcha.

    ReplyDelete