Saturday, February 7, 2015

Thank You Notes


Uncle Chuck was married to my father’s sister and MY Aunt Co. Uncle Chuck was known as Caren’s Uncle Chuck. I spent a lot of time with Aunt Co, and Caren spent a lot of time with Uncle Chuck most likely because he was a golfer. Caren’s Uncle Chuck passed away recently and I wanted to dedicate a blog to him and write about him, but unfortunately because I didn’t spend a lot of time with him I am having trouble composing my words for him.


He was always kind to me. I never heard him raise his voice when I visited Aunt Co and Uncle Chuck. As I reflect on the times I spent with him and Aunt Co I know that he lived by the mantra “happy wife, happy life”. Uncle Chuck would do anything for Aunt Co. She didn’t like to cook, so he cooked. Happy wife, happy life! Aunt Co and I loved to peruse the local swap meets and Uncle Chuck would go with us and follow us around the place I am sure bored out of his gourd. Aunt Co would say, “Isn’t that nice?” And he would respond, “Um, yea, sure. Get it, if you want it.” Sometimes Aunt Co and I would find the most God awful thing and Aunt Co would say, “Isn’t that nice?” And Uncle Chuck would always respond, “Um, yea, sure. Get it, if you want it.” Happy wife, happy life! Every morning Uncle Chuck would go to the local drive thru and get Aunt Co a large diet Coke. Every morning! Happy wife, happy life! Aunt Co had a thing for decorating rooms with themes. One day Uncle Chuck would be brushing his teeth in a golf themed bathroom and that evening he would go into the same bathroom that suddenly had a country theme. Aunt Co would ask, “What do you think?” Uncle Chuck would respond, no matter what, “Oh, WOW, Hun, that’s great!” Happy wife, happy life!


Uncle Chuck was with MY Aunt Co through every step of her battle with cancer. He dutifully cared for her to her dying day. 


When Uncle Chuck was alive I should have told him how much I respected him for his undying love for Aunt Co.


Why do we wait until someone’s dies to ponder on things we have learned from them?


I’ve decided not to wait. I want to list some lesson that I have learned from different people in my life. First I want to apologize to anyone who feels they should have been on this list but were left off. 


Mom and Dad, Thanks for teaching me that there are no obstacles in life only hurdle to jump. Also, thanks for making me realize that being handicapped is a reason to work harder not less.



Gerry, Thanks for being mom’s pal. DaBoyz thank you for all your love too.



Chris and Colleen, Thanks for oozing an unfathomable faith in God. Chris, you left an extremely well paid position to take the moral high ground and because you knew God wanted it and you had faith in Him that things would be okay.  Colleen, you have moved to and from Phoenix quite a few times because someone needed you with the never dying thought, “God will take care of me.”



Norma, Thanks for teaching me “positive intentions”. You have always said, “No teacher drives to work muttering, ‘I think I will see how many children’s lives I can destroy’. Everyone has positive intentions.” I no longer get upset with people because I always think about you saying, “Now, Cathy, remember, positive intentions!”



Illona, Thanks for sending me quotes about facing life’s challenges. Thanks for sharing your many epiphanies about why we are here and what we should be doing. Also, thanks for keeping me alive all these years.



Rhonda, Thanks for teaching me to keep going in the face of adversity. You have had to face so many challenges and you have done it without missing a day of work. I am sure you have that “faith in God thing”, too.



Phyllis, Thanks for showing me what “Christian love” feels like and looks like. I think you are “the” example of “God’s love”. I have said many times, “When I grow up I want to be just like Phyllis!”



Darrell, Thanks for teaching me straight forward thinking. Keep your eye on the prize. Thanks for loving Caren and also living by the mantra, “happy wife, happy life”. 

Gramma Anne, Thanks to for being my Montana Mama. It is so comforting to know that you are there waiting for Caren and I to arrive with hot vegetable stew and snickerdoodles. Also, thanks for playing endless hours of games all those Montana summer nights. You are our Montana cairn. 



Janet, Thanks for being my friend, confidant, and caretaker for so many years. You’ve taught me to suck it up and keep on going. You can do more in one hour than an army of folks could do in a week. You are an amazing woman!



To all the sistahs, you know who you are, what you’ve done and what you’re expected to do.

Sue and Mary, Thanks for being longtime friends and my weekly movie buddies. You have schooled me in never having to pay for popcorn. But what I enjoy most about our weekly adventures are our chats at lunch. If we were in charge of the world . . . . .

Cheryl, Thanks for being my carpool friend this year. I wish I knew the answers to the questions on those darn radio quizzes.



C. Store (Caren), Thanks for everything! You make me laugh and cry for happy. Thanks for giving up so much for me.  Words cannot express . . . . . . .



DaBoyz, Thanks for teaching me about unconditional love. You are always happy to see me and ready to lick me in the face.

To all the teachers I have taught with over the years, Thanks for TEACHING me so much. I have learned from every single one of you, young and old. Thanks for your undying dedication to the children of Cartwright School District. 


Students of the past 38 years, Thanks for making every day different. Thanks for giving me a purpose in life.



I wish that I could say that I have internalized everything I have learned and have become one amazing human. But, I have a long way to go and I know all of these people will be there every step of the way.



Readers, instead of valentine cards this year send out thank you cards before it’s too late.

Paco's Perspective
Thank you, to whoever makes dog treats! YUM! YUM!
Roses are red, violets are blue. I love dog treats! WOO! HOO!

The Flip Side
Bunnies, Thanks for multiplying so frequently so I have so many bunnies to chase!
Rose are red, violets are blue. I love to chase bunnies!  What rhymes with bunnies?

No comments:

Post a Comment